Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Snow. Ice. Snow.

We had light snow yesterday, then it turned to freezing rain overnight (still getting this), and we're supposed to get more snow today. Crappy, crappy weather. I'm just hoping the ice stops soon because heavy ice could take out power lines. I was without power for a little over three days in September because of the wind storm and that wasn't bad, but in winter no power would be a hell of a lot harder. A couple hours ago a bunch of ice and snow came crashing down from the roof -- it made quite a racket and really scared poor Zekie. I was a bit worried that it might have brought some of the gutters and slate from the roof down with it, but I took a quick look and nothing seems to have fallen but ice and snow.

I don't think we are going to get it quite as bad as people to the south, but it's already crappy enough. One of the people in the arts coop lives in Lexington and she said they are getting hammered with ice. Yesterday I went to the grocery store and picked up some supplies (the two most important things on my list were toilet paper and Zeke's favourite snackies -- don't want to be caught without either of those!) so we can just hang out here until the weather gets better. When I was walking out to the car I slipped on a patch of ice under the snow and smacked my head into the cinder block garage (my car is parked beside the garage). Damn that hurt! And it made quite a sound -- kind of a thwack sound, at least in my head. I have a little tender spot on my temple and my neck is a bit sore, but it's not too bad. And that was before this current round of ice. Blah.

I'm sure as hell not taking Diane outside any time soon. She's not good on her feet even on perfect surfaces. It's just not worth the risk to take her anywhere now. She's broken one of her legs twice and the other once over the past 25 years, and two of those breaks were pretty bad, requiring surgery and plates and screws in one leg and rods and pins in the other. Plus several days in the hospital, several cast changes, months in a wheelchair, and months of physical therapy. One of the bad breaks occurred when she took a single step on a snow covered walk. It wasn't even particularly slippery -- everyone else had no problem walking on it. But Di isn't everyone else, so now when conditions are even the least bit slick, she doesn't go out.

It's very quiet outside right now. We live just one house in from a pretty busy street, but there are very few people driving now (it's just about 6 am). Most schools in the area are closed, and I imagine quite a few people are either working from home or calling off too. The city just asked all non-essential personnel to wait until 11 am to come in to work, and OSU is closed. Since there are a shit-load of OSU students living in this area that probably accounts for a good deal of the lessened traffic.


And I noticed SK shut down the comments on his blog. Some poor pathetic person apparently needs a lot of attention -- not getting it now though is he/she? You have to wonder what kind of issues that person has to make being such a douche attractive.

6 Comments:

Blogger General Catz said...

PLEASE please be careful! I heard about the ice from a friend in Ohio. Crikey!

8:17 AM  
Blogger veleska1970 said...

yeah, we had a big ice storm here, too. all the schools were closed.

how's your head?

4:54 PM  
Blogger Queen Hatshepsut said...

Damn, what a different world you live in! Or I live in...yes, to repeat Catz's plea, do be CAREFUL! Your head bump made me cringe! And I wouldn't take Diane out until May or June! I'm only half kidding but she (and you) don't need to deal with ANOTHER break.

I admit, I would like to just spend one winter in a place where it snows. Just to see what it's like and say I did it. I'm sure I'll be a total cry baby and come running back to L.A. or Phoenix or the Sahara desert in no time.

I would freak hearing snow crashing on my roof. I have the stupid A/C on! Primarily because there's NO AIR FLOW in my bread box apartment so it gets really stuffy in here if the weather goes above 70 degrees.

I noticed last night SK turned off the comments. I haven't commented in a while - I've actually only been skimming his blogs - so I assume I missed some really nasty 'anonymous' bullshit.

Here's a really inane question: What are Zeke's favourite treats? I only ask because for years I never bothered to buy the cats treats (I guess I figured since they get wet and dry food and my kisses, those are treats enough!)...anyway, one Christmas my mom bought them some treats called "Temptations" - well, that was it for the cats. If I don't keep these treats in the house, I fear for my life. They must have kitty heroin in them or something.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Queen Hatshepsut said...

I think I just accidentally wrote "She don't need another break."

She doesn't, and you don't.

And I'm going to hit myself on the head with my English grammar book.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Queen Hatshepsut said...

Wait, is Zeke a cat or dog? OK I'm shutting up now, I swear!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Freddie said...

My parents live about 2 hours
east of Lexington (rural area)
Talked to em last night and
they don't have power.
Haven't had any the past 2 days.
Luckily they've got gas & wood heat
and a good camp stove :-)

Be careful out there,
Freddie

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home