Friday, June 01, 2007

kick starting my muse

I think I must have a bargain basement kinda muse, and it's been off the job for a few years. I know I sure haven't done much to keep it going, so I can't bitch too much. Anyway, last night I decided to give my muse a bit of a boot and actually do a bit of work with the glass.

Well.... Nothing spectacular, no great flashes of creativity, but it's a start anyway. I really can't expect much at this stage anyway though as it's mostly setting up so I can get down to the more creative part. Mostly I just cut a bunch of fairly random pieces of various colours. Now I have to grind and foil them. Then I can start having more fun and actually put together pieces. That's when I will find out if I get anything interesting. I don't expect anything mind blowing of course, as these will be small pieces designed to be purchased mostly on a whim, so of course they won't be very complex or large.

The little stuff is what I need to be making now anyway, as it's what sells the most. It's amazing how much money you can make on $10-20 items if you have enough of them. One guy in the coop makes wooden bookmarks he prices at $12.50. Last year he had several months where he sold $1200-1600 per month, just in our little shop. I had one woman come in and buy a dozen of them, and she came in a couple of days later and bought several more. I had one month a few years ago where I had just under $1000 in sales with an average tag of $10. Those $10-15 items aren't the most stimulating things to make, but it's a hell of a lot more fun than working for someone else. And once I get a decent inventory of small stuff I can work on a few larger pieces. Often the larger pieces don't sell themselves, but make people more likely to buy the smaller pieces. It's as if they like to know I can make the more complex stuff, even if they can't afford to buy it.

If I can get myself in gear and make enough stuff, I plan to try to sell some online. I might give Ebay a whirl for a few pieces, but think that Etsy might be a better choice. It's smaller and designed for art and better crafts. The prices can still be low there, but there doesn't seem to be quite as much of a bottom feeder culture there as on Ebay. But before I start trying to sell online I need to fill up my coop space and keep my space there full. I'm paying to be a member there and I'm putting in the time working the shop. I need to make it worthwhile.

4 Comments:

Blogger snowfaller said...

Don't worry - my muse fails me constantly as well...

I assume you don't have much glass art at home. I can only imagine how long glass art would last in my house and I only have two cats...

I can't wait to see the new SK paintings! Please keep us up to date on the exhibition, etc...

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi mzzzzzzzzz eek...........we have baby bunnies that live under our deck right now........and kittens last year.........i love animals

oh yeah, by the way, my muse asked me to ask your muse......."whassup?"

3:16 AM  
Blogger veleska1970 said...

my muse has been trying to bust out, she's been so inspired. but i do go through periods where she's snoring so loud it wakes me up at night. (!!)

i've always wanted to work in glass. i have a cousin who has a stained-glass studio, she's been doing it for years. you'll have to let us know when you have it on etsy, i'd love to see it.

7:20 AM  
Blogger snowfaller said...

Wow. Thanks for the link. I'm honored! :-)

Whenever I get around to adding links from my blogge I'll certainly add yours...

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home