Saturday, November 10, 2007

Maddie



This is turning into the "All My Cats" blog....

Maddie has been having problems with sore spots in her mouth this week and wouldn't eat because it hurt, so I've been having to force feed her since last weekend. She's very sweet and not very bright so she's gullible which makes this force feeding (a mix of very finely pureed very high calorie canned cat food and a bit of water to make it thinner put in a large syringe and squeezed into the back of her mouth) fairly easy, but it's a pain and she doesn't get nearly as much food that way. It's enough to keep her ok in the short term, but that's all. I was able to get her to the vet on Wednesday (yay! MORE vet bills!!!) where she had blood drawn and got a shot of antibiotic (her mouth is infected), oral antibiotics and steroid pills (which always help this).

Thursday she would drink a little broth I gave her, but still needed the cat food given to her in a syringe. Friday during the day she drank more of the broth, swiped a bit of the cheese spread I make for my aunt, and licked up a bit of the sauce in the canned cat food, but she still wasn't quite ready to eat solid food although she was clearly interested in it. But about an hour and a half ago she started to eat the super soft, super high calorie canned cat food. I'm so pleased -- both for her and for me. She obviously feels so much better and I don't have to force feed her anymore (except for pills and antibiotic drops)!

Sometimes the little victories are all you get.

4 Comments:

Blogger General Catz said...

You should be proud. You saved her and those little victories are what life's about.

10:56 AM  
Blogger veleska1970 said...

"She obviously feels so much better and I don't have to force feed her anymore "
well, that's good news. i hate it when pets get sick. it's always a guessing game.

how did she get sores in her mouth?

7:56 PM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

oh poor little thing!

8:48 AM  
Blogger snowfaller said...

Glad Maddie is doing well!

Fortunately, my cats seem to be reasonably easy to trick so far (as long as it means they are getting food of some sort!)

I haven't been around much lately, but I was so sad to hear about Bruiser. Glad he is being remembered well.

Take care.

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home