Friday, November 30, 2007

I'm gonna have to stop...

going to the vet and to Yellow Springs.

Why? (I hear you ask.)

Because it seems as if my ratty little gerbil car is going to have "issues" it's going to have them at one of those two places. (and this is when I would love to be able to use smilies here because I would certainly use a grumpy-assed smilie here)

A couple of months ago it died in the parking lot at the vet and I had to have the alternator and battery replaced. So last night as I was driving home I noticed the battery warning light was on so I pulled into a gas station. The car lights dimmed and the car sounded odd. I decided I wasn't going to risk driving 50+ miles at night on a busy interstate which gets a lot of semi truck traffic in a tiny car that could just die at any moment. Plus I had my down's syndrome aunt with me.

So I called AAA and they sent a truck out for us. It took close to two hours for the truck to get there because the driver was sent to the wrong BP station. Poor Di -- there was only a bar stool in there and she's not at all good at sitting on that type of thing, but she also can't stand for long periods. She actually did very well though -- a couple of Milky Way bars helped her mood immensely.

Getting Di in the tow truck was a challenge -- tow trucks are HUGE now and she had to climb up several steps in the dark...well actually I mostly lifted her up each step (the truck driver did help me heave her up there so I have to give him a lot of credit for that...many people won't), but she did pretty well. And once she was sitting and comfortable she was quite happy, and then she slept most of the way home.

So the ratty little gerbil car is back at the shop. I think (and dearly hope) the problem is fairly minor -- maybe something didn't get adjusted or set up quite right when the alternator was put on a couple of months ago. The real bitch is I have a lot of things I need a car for over the next three or four days -- including yet another trip to Yellow Springs. If I have to I can rent a car, but I'd like to avoid that if I can.


And speaking of smilies -- if I could, I would also use them when I comment on Steve's blog today. A board I visit has great "oh my!" and "lmao" ones which would be the ones I would use. What a little horny toad! ;-)

At least I got a good laugh from reading that.

3 Comments:

Blogger jafabrit said...

what an awful bloody palaver with the car and tow truck :(

Hope the car gets fixed soon. Claire is available next week to be hired to cover shifts at the gallery (might be cheaper than renting a car). Actually I think she might be working there today?

8:48 AM  
Blogger General Catz said...

Seems by now you've replaced everything on the gerbil car twice already. What else could possibly go wrong with it?

12:35 PM  
Blogger veleska1970 said...

hmmmm.....maybe the alternator belt is bad?

so.....about the "birthday" discussion on catz's blog~~when is your birthday? mine is january 24th.

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home