Thursday, May 29, 2008

the meltdown so far

It's just three days until the SK art exhibit officially opens and I am soooooooooooooooooooooo far behind where I should be right now. Nine of the paintings are framed and ready to hang. Nine. Out of 22. The rest are still being photographed and set up for prints and cards. With any luck that is now finished (at 9:30 pm last night it was about halfway done) and I'll be able to pick up the paintings in the next couple of days. Today isn't supposed to be a good day for the photographer, so I'm not counting on doing that today. I have mats and frames for seven or eight of the ones being photographed, so once I get them back I can get those ready to hang pretty quickly. The materials to frame the rest won't even be in until the Thursday before the first reception (the last few pieces were a bit late getting to me), but they should be ready for that.

I don't have any prints or cards of the paintings in the reception yet, although I do have quite a few other cards and a small selection of older prints also. I'm hoping to have at least a couple cards and one print of each of the exhibit paintings by the time of the first reception, but I'm not sure of that. The combination of many of the paintings getting to me a bit later than originally planned and this time of year being both my framer's and photographer/printer's super busy season has really made everything come down to the wire.

I do think (and fervently hope) that not many people will come to see the show in the first few days. I'm thinking most won't come until the first full weekend, so that will give me several days to get everything -- or at least most everything -- finished and ready. I could use another month easily, but since I don't have another month I will get as much as possible done and hope for the best.

The paintings are really cool and they fit the theme well, so if I can just get them all framed and hung it's going to look really good. I just want to do the work justice and with time running out I'm really scrambling.

**update**

I just got an email from Steve that he has five more paintings that can also fit the exhibit. Aaahhhh!!!! Actually, when I think about it these won't be that hard because I have plenty of pieces without them so if come and be worked in that's great and if they can't that's ok too. And I might just have not frame them but make them available for people to see at the second reception and any days I'm there. Kind of an additional perk. Since I like the new work he's doing I'm thrilled he's so prolific right now.

8 Comments:

Blogger General Catz said...

God, it sounds like a headache but still exciting. I so wish i could be there. Dammit.

9:09 AM  
Blogger veleska1970 said...

ooohhhh.....i HATE being rushed. especially for soemthing like this.

i wish i could be there, too. :*(

10:13 AM  
Blogger redgrevillea said...

Dear eek,

Hiya! I have a question relating to the Steve Kilbey art website. I notice that prints can be bought in US dollars; I surmise that you're in control of the business and orders come to you and are shipped out from the US therein, am I correct in this?

That's all good in itself but it seems strange to place an order for shipping from the US when the artist lives up the road from me in Sydney. I haven't sent Steve an email about purchasing prints locally because I assume he's constantly snowed under with emails - is there a way I can purchase some prints locally in $AUD?

Perhaps I could let you know of the prints I'm after and then you let him know and then we could go from there...

But I know you're snowed under with the exhibition so no rush to get back to me but clarification at some point would be great.

I hope the exhibition goes Splendidly!!!

Kind regards, Ross, Sydney.

7:46 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

It's a fabulous exhibit. Wish you the best with it after all the hard work.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Lian said...

so glad to hear about the news. If only we can get some pictures...

9:32 AM  
Blogger eek said...

Thanks everyone for your comments -- I'm both frazzledand excited. Only a few couple of days to go 'til the reception....

Lian -- pictures, yep there will be pictures of the exhibit. The guy who does the Church discography is going to take pictures on Saturday and then set up a little virtual tour of the exhibit.

Plus I'm going to try to snap a few shots today when I go to drop off some more things and may post some of those shots here. They'll just give a general feel.

Ross -- I think we can work something out. I'll email you in a few days (probably after the exhibit reception).

4:22 PM  
Blogger Lian said...

Oh many many thanks eek!

10:04 PM  
Blogger Linda Wang said...

your pictures r very funny n lovely!
eek!

6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home