Saturday, March 01, 2008

two months

Just two months until "The Stevie Show" (my name for it ;-) ) begins and I have a shitload to do and no paintings so far to do it with. I was so pleased when he sent a batch out earlier than expected, but those are the now infamous lost FedEx paintings (he's doing battle with FedEx over the package now -- maybe he'll have better luck than I did. He's the shipper so he has to file the claim), and now I think he's a little worried about sending more over. I certainly can't blame him for that, but the earlier I can get some the better. First I need to have all pieces photographed and set up for prints, cards, and web images. Because it's a part time job for the person I have for that it can take a week or more depending on her schedule. Then I have get them to another person to have them all matted and framed. He's also doing this on a part-time basis, so the more time I am able to give him the better.

Once some of the pics are taken (and Steve comes up with a name for the exhibition. I need to ask him about that...although I suspect since he can whip out song lyrics in a matter of minutes naming this exhibition won't be a problem for him) I am having the woman who does the photography also make up a little tri-fold program/brochure with some of the pieces from the show and a bit about Steve and some comments from him about some of the work or just painting/art in general. Kinko's is running a special on printing that type of thing through the end of this month so I'd like to catch that. Plus it would be nice to be able to get some put around the area a few weeks before the show. I also want to have some posters advertising the exhibit made to hang up in the area. And then there's the press release to write up and send out, the advertisements to order (mostly just local on those), the receptions to set dates for and plan. I'm planning on two evening receptions right now -- an exhibit opening reception probably the first Saturday of the month and then another in conjunction with the town's Chamber of Commerce "Third Friday" promotion where businesses stay open and have special events the third Friday of every month. I'm hoping to have Steve participate by tele during the receptions. That should be fairly easy -- all I need is a cheap rates phone card and a speakerphone and he can talk to the people there for a while. I need to plan and budget for decent finger food and drinks (usually wine, water and either punch or soft drinks) too.

Steve and I also talked of making it more of a multimedia thing -- not only having his paintings but also having his music and poetry all available too. So instead of just being the SK art exhibit it would be this huge SK ego trip! (Hey he was the one who said ego trip -- I just agreed! :-) ) Because we have a limited space inside, but can set up outside on good days I'm thinking of setting up a canopy outside on Saturdays and having the "SK ego trip" part then. That would help draw people just walking by into the shop too, so would do double duty. I have to figure out just how to do this though.

Sometimes I wonder why I put myself up for this stuff (because I'm the one that says "ah, Steve, what about doing an exhibit?" and then I'm the one that has to do all the planning and set up), but when it all comes together (after the sleepless nights and crying jags in the days immediately before it opens) I think it will be good.

It better be good, damn it.

2 Comments:

Blogger General Catz said...

You're not busy much, are you?

The whole thing sounds like a wonderful event, especially the multimedia "ego" part. I think it's a great idea. If you need a hand or think there's something i can do to help you out, let me know.

9:12 AM  
Blogger veleska1970 said...

man, i WISH i could be there!!!

same here, if you need anything, give a shout.

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home