Friday, January 25, 2008

hapless

I love the word hapless -- especially when it is used in a headline. You just know the story is going to be about people treading on the wrong side of the law and that it will result in at least a few guffaws. A recent headline: Dough! Hapless thieves mistake bread for cash is a case in point. A pair of thieves had this plan to rob a restaurant of the day's proceeds at the end of the night. The plan doesn't sound too bad, does it? Ah, but their execution sucked big time. Read story here (this article uses a different headline than the one I noted above -- that was the first one I read and got me thinking how much I love the word hapless -- this one is more detailed :-) ).

Speaking of hapless (actually it's more inept, but I'm trying for a theme here dammit!), I finally got to bed at around 6:30 am Thursday morning after spending 36 hours sorting through and compiling the arts coop's 2007 finances for the accountant. Yep, two all-nighters (and a day in there too!). It was not a pretty sight. I don't mean the finances -- they aren't all that hideous -- I mean me. It shouldn't have taken me anywhere that long, but I just could not get my brain to work. And of course because I had to wait for certain info to arrive before I could work on this I had to get it done ASAP so I couldn't just wait until my brain cleared (which would probably be a loooong wait). So I plowed along and finally managed to get the crap finished and sent off to the accountant. Apparently it is ok because the email he sent back just clarified something I had asked him and didn't say "What the fuck is this supposed to be?!?" Whew.

Now in the good news department -- the Steve Kilbey Live dvd I ordered arrived yesterday. Yay! It's a lot of fun and probably as close to seeing a SK solo show as I will ever get.

2 Comments:

Blogger General Catz said...

Hapless. lol

I can't believe you were up for 36 hours straight working with number. Holy cats, Batman!

There's a DVD of Steve? Doing what?

3:57 PM  
Blogger veleska1970 said...

HAHAHAHAHA~~what a bunch of fookin 'idiots. **shaking my head** see~~crime does not pay. at least it didn't here.

i'm with catz~~36 hours straight working with numbers? i'll bet that was not a pretty sight. math has never been pretty for me. 36 hours of it???? i WOULD be stir-crazy. :0

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home