Friday, December 21, 2007

what a little bitch

A weird little bitch at that. My car that is. Yes the ratty little gerbil car saga continues. It died again -- and yes it was AGAIN in Yellow Springs! At least this time it started with a jump and I was able to drive it home. It was a pretty stressful 62 miles though -- I didn't run anything but the lights and a little heat and I knew if it stalled I wouldn't be able to get the damned thing started again without another jump. I can't remember the last time the car stalled, but I figured it would be just my luck it would do it on this trip. And the tow truck got there super fast -- only a few minutes after I called AAA (which I love btw) -- so that was excellent. The guy said it seemed to be charging once it was running and the battery tested fine when I got home, but when we tried to start it again after I got home it did exactly the same thing it did in YS. When I first turn the key it's clear it's engaging for a split second but then it's as if a fuse blows (or like a lightbulb burning out) -- there's just nothing, nothing at all works, no lights. Nothing. We had the hood up when we tried to start it here and I saw a spark so we (the "we" being my brother, not me 'cause I'm clueless) do know where to look. It just seems so weird that it's completely dead one moment (won't even crank) and fine as soon as it gets a jump. Something is shorting out somewhere. Because it seems to run fine once it gets started I'm thinking (and hoping) it's fairly minor and will be an easy fix. It's just a case of figuring out what.

Sometimes I hate cars. >:(


**update** well it was something simple (and cheap! Yippie!!) -- one of the battery terminal connections was loose. My brother flattened a small piece of lead to fill the space and the car started right up as pretty as you please. :)

2 Comments:

Blogger jafabrit said...

Phew, I thought you were talking about me there, lOL! Seriously though, my first thought was that it was either the fuel injection or ignition connection. Glad you found out and was able to fix it.

4:26 PM  
Blogger veleska1970 said...

i was thinking it was your alternator, and it wasn't charging the battery. but i'm glad you found the problem and fixed it. and think battery cables are relatively cheap.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home