Saturday, February 16, 2008

oh shit turns to FUCK!

You know my "oh shit" entry from yesterday? Well I had my worst fears about it confirmed. The tube apparently made it to Memphis, but there's nothing in it. Yep, the paintings are lost. SK took them to FedEx in a large plain tube and one of the people at the counter said he'd put it in a FedEx tube to get the better rate (they were apparently out of FedEx tubes until later that day). Well somewhere along the way FedEx tube popped opened and the other tube fell out and they got separated. Because he expected the airwaybill to go on the tube, Steve didn't put any address or anything on that tube, so somewhere there is a plain white tube with a bunch of SK's paintings in it. One positive is if they can find that tube the paintings are packed into it very firmly, so they should be in good shape.

So now FedEx is going to look for the paintings (the rep I talked to said they actually do find some missing things) but needed to know as much detail about the contents as possible. I had to email Steve with the news and what info FedEx needs (number of paintings, subject, colours, signatures on them, titles on back, etc.). I really hated writing and sending that email -- not because Steve was pissy or anything (he wasn't), but because I knew he would be discouraged (and of course he was). He got back to me with the info and I was able to pass it on to FedEx. One of the paintings is a commissioned piece -- a multi-person portrait -- and the others are for an exhibit. And it turns out there are more paintings in there than I originally thought -- I thought there were three or four, but Steve says there were at least six and as many as ten. Damn. That really sucks.

On the plus side the customer service people at FedEx were apologetic when they said the stuff was missing and they seemed genuinely helpful and interested in trying to find it. At least it makes me feel a little better. The earliest they told me I could expect to hear anything from them is Monday, so I'm going to try to forget about it over the weekend. Worrying about it now won't help. I'll start worrying again on Monday. ;-)

5 Comments:

Blogger Queen Hatshepsut said...

Wow, Holly, I just read about this on Steven's blog. How terrible. I didn't realise the paintings are in white tube with nothing on it...yikes. Nevertheless, perhaps a tremendous amount of energy (both real and intangible) aimed at finding the paintings will procure a miracle of sorts and they will be found. Don't give up hope and do try to keep busy and not worry - as I know only too well, worry just drags you down and does nothing about the situation at hand (as if you didn't know that already, haha).
Love,
Denise

3:40 PM  
Blogger veleska1970 said...

well, one thing that will help track these things easier is that they are a tube, not a box. there aren't too many things shipped in tubes. so that's one plus. now they are going to have to try to track it down in each service center that it may have passed through. and also check each truck that it was in.

but my question is this: why didn't the assholes make sure that the second tube was sealed better than it was (if at all)??

9:15 PM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

That SUCKS! big TIME!

Sending karma to fed ex and your way :)

3:30 PM  
Blogger General Catz said...

Oh Holly how discouraging this is to hear. I had a similar experience that i won't mention. I really hope FedEx gets their shit together and finds them. Even if they were insured, it doesn't really matter with one-of-a-kind things, does it?

hugs from London

5:47 AM  
Blogger veleska1970 said...

well.......??? please deliver some good news about those paintings. have they been found?? i sure hope so.

their carelessness is inexcusable. they should have had that tube better sealed than they did. (if at all!!!)

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home