Tuesday, April 14, 2009

whew!

Just finished and filed my taxes. No too bad this year. My income was just about the same as it was in 2007, but my expenses were higher last year (that SK exhibition was expensive!), so my taxes were lower this time. I'm self employed so I have to pay estimated tax payments quarterly. Well with the extra expenses I had overpaid last year, so I got a refund!!

Unfortunately that refund isn't quite as much of a thrill as it is for many people because I just applied it to this year's estimated tax. So I won't actually be getting anything back. However, I also don't have to make an estimated tax payment right now (which I usually do), and my next estimated payment will be lower than usual too (unless I suddenly make substantially more than I have been for the past several years), so that's a big financial help right now.

I'm proud of myself -- I got it finished and filed over 42 hours before the deadline! That could be a record for me. :-)

Now if my car doesn't fall apart on tax day (this one shouldn't!), I'll be way ahead of last year. :-D

4 Comments:

Blogger Freddie said...

You just reminded me that I need to send mine in. I filled them out on Turbo Tax but didn't file yet b-cause i owe back $144 :-(

1:56 PM  
Blogger eek said...

Because I'm self employed (and don't get the estimated payments quite right) I often owe, so I've gotten in the habit of waiting until just before the deadline to file. Unfortunately I tend to also wait until close to the deadline to even start preparing my return so I'm always scrambling at tax time.

When I first started working and my taxes were super easy, I would file them as soon as I got my W-2 form. Always got a refund then too. I like working for myself, but sometimes I do miss those days....

3:32 PM  
Blogger General Catz said...

Congrats on now owing. always a good thing.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Refund? What's that? I get the same kind of "refund" you do, ie applied to my next quarterly payment. No joy in that ~

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home