Sunday, January 14, 2007

Alex Update

Alex the cat is doing well -- pretty much seems to be back to normal, although I do have to take him back to the vet in a couple of weeks for some more tests. Yay! Lovely way to spend even more money. But if we can make sure through diet etc. that he won't get blocked again the money spent on the tests (to make sure the food is working) and on the special food will be less expensive than another emergency trip to the vet.

Apparently since the last time I had a cat get a urinary tract blockage there are two different foods to help prevent a recurrence. In the past the cats have always loved the food, but Alex isn't at all fond of this new stuff. When I give it to him he looks at it, then at me, then at the food again, then back at me -- all with this "oh, what are you giving me this crap for? Where's the good stuff?" look on his face. Sometimes he'll then grudgingly eat it, other times he just stalks off. He's not starving though -- Alex is a big cat.

I think the vet said he'd most likely only be on this variety of food for a couple of months and then would move to a different one for maintenance. I think the maintenance one is the type the cats all seem to love so it will be easier to get him to eat it. Only problem with that is vats tend to get pudgy on that food, and many of my cats -- including Alex -- are a bit on the pudgy side already. I'll have to really watch what they eat when they start getting that food.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so glad to hear Alex is doing better. Sadly, my cats have tried two types of wet canned food and they hate both. They tolerate a dry food - but now I've got all this Royal Canin Urinary SO canned food to shove down their gullets. It's a damned fight. This is a life-long thing and I admit, I've been cheating a little. Yet I don't want another surgery for Fletcher. Oh special diets suck! But again, I'm glad Alex is better - that's what counts in the end. :)

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy to hear alex is doing better. sylvester (my one and only) doesn't have a diet problem....right now he has a...uh..."romance" problem. he's 7 months old and he's doing things that are causing my daughter to ask "mommy what is he doing?"

looks like a trip to the "clipper" is in order...

10:44 PM  
Blogger eek said...

Haha! I know exactly what you mean Veleska! My brother and niece's kitten (Spunky Butt) is also 7 month old and he's doing those things too. He's afraid of my female cats (they don't put up with any of his crap), so he's been pestering the life out of Rickenbacker Straticaticus, much to Ricky's chagrin. So yep, a little trip to the vet is in order for him too!

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home