Sunday, June 18, 2006

ungrateful little sod

I am.

My brother is trying to take a week of vacation to take care of my critters and my down's syndrome aunt so I can go see the Choich, and I am really grateful for that. (once when I was talking to SK and I mentioned her -- don't remember the context, but it had to be that I couldn't do something because I had to take care of her or that I was trying to figure out how to get one of my sibs to care for her for a bit so I could do something -- and he asked "Isn't she their aunt too?" Well, yeah Steve, she is, but it doesn't really work that way in my family. My brother is getting a bit better though. That's a nice surprise.)

I know I'm really lucky to be able to see this band I love so many times. I know many people who will be very fortunate to be able to see them once, several who didn't or won't be able to see then at all this time around, and several who have never seen them and don't stand much of a chance to ever see them. Then there are the many U2 fans who haven't been able to see U2. Many of these folks finally had concert tickets and plane tickets and hotel reservations in place when the last several U2 shows were postponed. And they don't know when, or if, the shows are even going to be rescheduled, or if they are rescheduled, if they will still be able to make the show. So I do know how fortunate I am to have seen them the times I have and to be able to plan to see them so many times this time. And I know I am super fortunate to know and talk to and deal with Steve. That's something I never really expected and still sometimes can't quite believe.

But there are a bunch more gigs on this tour I want to see also, and I'm not sure how I can go. And that's where I become an ungrateful little sod. Because even though he's taking fully half of his vacation to say here and take care of my stuff and I'm most likely going to be able to catch 5-7 Choich gigs in that time, I'm already feeling cranky, bitchy, whiny, surly because there are shows I want to go to, but can't. And I know it will just get worse as the dates get closer. I've already devoted two entries here in the last few days to bitching about the same thing!

Yeah, I'm planning on going to gigs in Myrtle Beach, Atlanta, Falls Church, (possibly) NYC, Sellarsville, and very possibly two more (the tour is still being scheduled), but I wanna go to the Ferndale, Cleveland, and Chicago shows too! And there are still more that could be scheduled in a reasonable area too. I'm sure I'll bitch, whine and moan about not getting to go to those also.

Hell, if I had it my way I would take a couple of days, drive down to Houston in late July and follow the tour through to the last show in the midwest 3 1/2 weeks later. Of course, I know that's never gonna happen, and I would miss my critters terribly too. But I really do wanna hit some of the Midwest shows. And they would be so damned easy to do. But it's very possible I won't be able to do them. And I know I most likely won't be very gratious about missing them either. In fact I will probably be just about unbearable then.

I'll even hate myself.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I feel your pain. I wanted to see more shows than I was able to in 2002 and 2004. And I'm probably not going to any this time around.

9:43 AM  
Blogger General Catz said...

you never see as many shows as you'd like. it was that way for me with U2, and they played a ton of places. but, not being rich or having unlimited time off kinda quashed all that. but i was lucky, wanted to see 10 shows, but got to see 8.

i'm probably going to try for chicago, hope you can make it!

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home