Monday, January 22, 2007

snow!

We got our first real snow of the season -- hell, of the year -- yesterday. I hadn't really been paying attention to the weather forecasts, so when I got up and looked out the bathroom window I was pretty damned surprised. The last I had heard, we were only supposed to be getting flurries! Zeke absolutely loved the snow though. When I let him out in it the first time he blasted around all over the yard and then came tearing back into the house. Once he got in though he realised he hadn't done his business and had to go back out! Funny dog. He loved "helping" me shovel snow too. Great fun for him. Pain in the ass for me.

It isn't a huge amount of snow, only about 3 - 4 inches, but that is enough to be a pain in the ass. If it was just me getting in and out of the house it wouldn't be a big deal, but my aunt is another matter. She sprained an ankle several weeks ago and although she is now fairly able to get around in the house (she's still sleeping in the living room as the steps to the second floor are still too much), she can't get around too well outside. So when I take her out anywhere I use a wheelchair. Obviously, the snow presents a problem with a wheelchair, so I worked a bit on cleaning off the deck and walk out to the car. I got a nice bit shoveled and swept off and then noticed we were then getting freezing drizzle. Lovely. Everything I had just cleaned off got a very slick coat of ice. Yeah, that's going to provide great traction for my aunt.

One thing I haven't mentioned before is that several years ago she slipped on some snow (just going down one lousy step!) and broke her leg. It wasn't a simple break either. She broke both bones in several places and required surgery with plates and screws and the whole works. She was in the hospital for nearly a week (over Christmas - Yay!) and it took several months for her leg to completely heal. She also broke her other leg badly a few years later (getting off the bus at the sheltered workshop she went to) and again had surgery and rods put in this time. The second one took almost six months to completely heal.

So I'm always very aware and very cautious of the footing when she has to go out of the house. What would be just a little slip for most people can be a major injury for her. And that sucks big time for both her and me. Luckily she doesn't need to leave the house until Wednesday, so I should be able to get the snow and ice off the path by then.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been pondering SK's blog lately. I started reading it on the second or third entry and have been reading ever since. It got me into reading other people's blogs too, although I must admit I haven't really kept up with anyone else's as I have with his. Every so often someone will comment "You should write an autobiography, Steve" and I can't help thinking that's his blog is essentially an autobiography. It's certainly less structured and linear than most, but that's a big part of what I love about it. We are getting a much more unvarnished look at him than we would if he sat down and wrote a book. With his blog he sits down and writes whatever is on his mind at the time. Sometimes cranky, or sad, or goofy, or reflective, or profound. And then the next day he might be in a completely different mood. I love that spontinaeity and I think quite a bit of that would be missing in a book. Anyway, I'm very happy he's still writing it. And I'm also happy he's put up the PayPal button too. I hope it's providing a nice stream of revenue for him.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you re: SK's blog. I am a terrible, nosy person though because I wondered how much $$$ he is now getting from it!! LOL! I hope it's a lot - I know he can always use it. But still, I'm nosy. NOT that I would EVER talk about $$$ with him! :)

2:30 AM  
Blogger eek said...

Well he has been thanking his contributors profusely, so maybe that means he's well pleased. I hope so.

Am I the only one who checked out the list of email addys on the Thank You "card" he sent out to see who donated (and who didn't :sheepishsmilie: )?

4:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! You are so funny! We must um, think alike...because I too checked out the email list to see who donated! LOL! I know a few people are really struggling to make ends meet so I know they can't give now or give much. I'm trying to figure out if I should donate once every few months or what...I made my first donation a larger lump sum as I heard it's easier for him with Paypal. Ah, he's worth every penny. :)

2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home