Monday, July 28, 2008

bored on break?

Lately I've been hearing a lot of kids (I think of college students as kids too) say they are bored when they are on break for more than a week or two. I've heard it sometimes from adults when they are off work too, but less often.

Is this normal?

The first few times I heard kids say it I just thought they were crazy, but now I've heard it so many times I'm starting to wonder if it's just me who's odd. I don't remember ever being bored when I was on break from school (or from work for that matter). It wasn't that I had so many places to go or so many friends I hung out with, because I didn't. I lived in a rural area and only occasionally had friends over or went anywhere (other than grocery store, etc), but we lived on a small farm so I had woods, and streams, and fields, and horses, and cats, and dogs. Plus we had books, and music and art supplies.

Maybe it's just that I am and have always been a loner, but I can almost always entertain myself. I've never really needed to go places or have a lot of contact with people -- actually I can get mighty cranky if I don't have my alone time. Plus I'm not real fond of group activities, structured days, and authority, so I've always chafed in most school and work situations.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think long breaks can be boring, particularly these days. I live in a subdivision, as do most people in my area. Unless your neighborhood has a pool or a playground you don't see kids outside. Ever. It's harder to find stuff to explore when you live on a tenth of an acre, too.

Some kids are busy at camps while parents work, so it's hard to find playmates for the young ones. I'm guessing the older kids can have just as much trouble.

My son's school is on the year round calendar. I'm going to like it just for the shorter, more frequent breaks.

PS, I was especially bored in summers while in college. My friends (and boyfriend)were all two hours' drive away - or more.

8:23 AM  
Blogger General Catz said...

I think it's cos everyone seems to be suffering from ADD and short attention span these days. They need to be entertained all the time.

I get more bored at work. I love my time off. Even if i'm doing zero, just watching tv, i relish the time to myself.

I suppose it is that loner gene.

9:12 AM  
Blogger veleska1970 said...

i'm pretty much a loner, too. that's from growing up with two brothers who are 9 and 10 years older than me, and all the kids in th eneighbourhood where we lived were their ages. so i learned to entertain myself.

and now that i'm older and have a family, i still love my solitary time. being with my family's great, but i can't do it all the time. i get irritable, too, if i don't have time to myself.

9:47 AM  
Blogger redgrevillea said...

Agreed.

Holly - I'm totally with you.

I never get bored with time off...in fact I have time off right now. The biggest bane in my life is trying to find the time to do the things I want to do outside of work hours. And that includes a lot of time for composure and rest, which I need!

However I was meant to go to the blue mountains today (ranges west of sydney) but have fallen sick with flu! So I can't go and that irritates me a little !

But yeah - totally agree, particularly on your last paragragh I am totally with you there,

Have a great day, Ross

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home